Today, Monday 17 May marks International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia, and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT). On this day each year, thousands of people worldwide stand together against LGBTQIA+ discrimination and raise awareness for the work still needed to address and fight discrimination against the LGBTQIA+ community.
Did you know?
- 75% of LGBTQIA+ youth experience some form of discrimination
- 77% of Trans and Gender Diverse people report being discriminated against in the past 12 months
- 35% of LGBTQIA+ Australians have experienced verbal abuse in the past 12 months
- 39% of LGBTQIA+ people have experienced depression in the past 12 months
- 33% of LGBTQIA+ people have experienced anxiety in the past 12 months
Compared to 6.2% of the general population having experienced depression in the past 12 months.
If you or someone you know is needing some support, these services are here to help:
- Kids Helpline 1800 551 800
- Lifeline 13 11 14
- Switchboard 1800 184 527
- Queerspace 03 9663 6733
- QLife 1800 184 527
Today and every day, North Richmond Community Health stands against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia, and Transphobia. We recognise that sexuality and gender identity or intersex status aren’t always visible and are committed to creating a culture where everyone feels safe and can be themselves.