Medicare is a national system which helps pay for medical services and prescriptions for people who are eligible.
If you’re eligible, this includes:
- free or discounted treatment by doctors, specialists and optometrists. In some cases, Medicare will also pay for services from dentists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, dietitians and other clinicians. At North Richmond Community Health, you can see our doctors for free if you have a Medicare card
- free treatment and accommodation for public Medicare patients in a public hospital
- discounted treatment for some services and procedures if you are a private patient in a public or private hospital.
Remember to take your Medicare card with you when you visit North Richmond Community Health, or get a prescription filled.
To be eligible for Medicare, you must be one of the following:
- an Australian citizen who lives in Australia
- a New Zealand citizen who lives in Australia
- an Australian permanent resident who lives in Australia
- someone who holds a Resident Return visa who lives in Australia
- an applicant for permanent residency status (excluding parent applications) who lives in Australia, and has permission to work or can prove a relationship to an Australian citizen, permanent resident or with a New Zealand citizen who lives in Australia
- a resident of a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) country who is visiting Australia, or
- covered by a Ministerial Order.
To read more about Medicare, click here.